Acquitted Westgate Mall Terror Suspect Abducted Minutes After Being Released


A man exonerated from terror charges was on Thursday abducted as he left police custody minutes after securing his freedom.

Liban Abdillahi Omar – who had been on seven-year trial for supporting the 2013 Westgate Mall attack that left 67 people deadand more than 200 injured – was leaving the ATPU headquarters in Upper Hill, Nairobi when he was whisked away by unidentified men, a police report said.

Mr Omar is a brother to one the four terrorists who staged the assault at the upscale mall in Nairobi.

According to Mr Omar’s lawyer, he was abducted at 11am on Thursday by gun-trotting men in a black Subaru car.

They reported the matter to Capitol Hill Police Station at 1:08pm and it was recorded under the OB number 28.

The Anti-Terror Police Unit (ATPU) have denied any involved in the event.

Mr Omar’s abduction came hours after Chief Magistrate Francis Andayi acquitted him of masterminding the deadly attack for lack of evidence.

The judge ruled that although he shared his phone with his brother, he was not aware that his brother had joined the terror group Al Shabaab.

A second and third defendant were found guilty of assisting the attackers.


The court ruled that Mr Mohammed Ahmed Abdi and Mr Hussein Hassan Mustafa were in constant communication with the four terrorists at Westgate and coordinated the operations from their hideout in Eastleigh.

Mr Abdi bore the biggest responsibility as the person who coordinated the attack and was found with video evidence on his laptop which encouraged the Al Shabaab to kill ‘infidels’ and action videos similar to what took place at Westgate.

“I find them guilty as charged and convict them accordingly for being conspirators to the terrorist act that left 67 people dead, hundreds injured and properties destroyed. The frequency of their conversation with the attackers proves they had a common intention to kill,” ruled Andayi.

“It is clear there was mutual agreement between them and the actual attackers to carry out terrorism. The prosecution didn’t have to prove their actual presence at the scene as the call data show the coordination they did from their hide out.”

The duo will be sentenced on October 22.

There's no story that cannot be told. We cover the stories that others don't want to be told, we bring you all the news you need. If you have tips, exposes or any story you need to be told bluntly and all queries write to us [email protected] also find us on Telegram

Related posts

Papa Shirandula Is Dead


Fraudsters Now Recruiting Teenagers Into Porn, DCI Warns Parents


How The Kitengela Four Were Murdered


Lunar Park Demolished To Pave Way For Nairobi Expressway


Autopsy Results For Tecra Muigai Kept A Family Secret As Karanja’s Moves To Burying Her In A Private Ceremony


Coronavirus: Isiolo Governor Dr. Mohammed Kuti Busted For ‘Launching’ Fake ICU Beds He Hired From A Private Hospital


This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More